Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A green-themed work in progress for Thursday challenge

This green themed quilt wasn't planned for St. Patrick's Day although the timing for its completion couldn't have been better. Actually its to be a birthday present for a little boy who loves green and playing socceer. I finished piecing it together yesterday and this morning I will pin baste it and start quilting it this afternoon with my sewing machine using the stitch in the ditch quilting method. However it might turn into a tug of war between myself and the sewing machine as the quilt will be bulky. It is 50" x 80" and it is made up of 160 green-themed five inch squares.

Since having posted these photos of my completed green-themed quilt top last week I have pin basted the quilt top and am midway completed the machine quilting. More experience on my part would be a definite asset; however the apparent evidence of my lacking in experience and the resultant tell- tale tracking of my thread lines ( a wobbly wave here, a creative curve there) add to a uniqueness all of its own to the work. Each time I approach the sewing machine I am engaged in a quilt top tug -of- war to see if my contrary project will follow my guidance of a pull and push as the fabric glides under the sewing machine needle, see what I mean by my lacking in experience? I also have a helper, as our cat Shakey seems to love this quilt. He is probably putting lots of cuddles and purrs into it for it is to be a gift to his previous owner, our bilingual grandson, "Bonjour, David, C'est un présent pour vous!"


By the time it is completed this quilt will have lots of sleep experience put into it as it is Shakey's most favourite spot for a nap no matter where I place the quilt in the house;
folded on the dining room table , or spread out on the love seat in the living room.


I like the quilt top too, although I haven't taken any naps on it yet as Shakey has. My favourite portion of it is the top part which holds the deepest and greenest greens. It has wonderful appeal at this time of year as my anticipation of spring is a daily hope and pleasure. The lighter greens which I have used unify the green theme as intended,do not hold as much appeal to me, however the idea of a walk outdoors in a green environment appeals to my dreams of once again enjoying the surroundings of a green world brought about by this present welcome seasonal change.

Shakey has aquired a few more habits related to his quilting interest. His outreached paw can unthread my sewing machine in a second and due to his fascination with my pin cushion I now leave it on top of the refridgerator overnight. If I forget to put it away in a hard- to- reach- location, I will find an empty pin cushion, in the morning surrounded by its pulled out straight pins pins lying on the table top in a circle around the pincushion. Shakey is not too interested in chasing empty thread spools, I suspect that might be as they are freely given to him, offering little temptation. But Shakey is a great cat and is dearly loved. Maybe I should make him a quilt? That might be a good next project and I am sure he would be willing to help!

Work in progress Wednesday is a delightful meme where you can share your current work in progress with ohers and also have an opportunity to see what others are working on. You can find the meme by clicking on the w.i.p icon on the top of the right column on this page or by going to http://freshlypieced.blogspot.com/

My appreciate thanks to the host of this meme for the opportunity of sharing!

greent', is this week's photographic theme for Thursday's Challenge. To view more photos posted on this theme, or to join in on the fun yourself, just 'click' on the highlighted name.

11 comments:

LynCC said...

There is just something about cats and quilts that goes so perfectly together. We have a few cats, and it amazes me to find that they each prefer different quilt projects. I've decided they have color preferences, too, like we do. :)

Jill said...

My cat's the same way...it's like she knows the minute I leave a quilt sit somewhere...and she cuddles on in!

Riel Nason said...

Hi Shakey! Great quilt. I found you through WIp Wednesday. *wink*

Amy said...

your cat must be related distantly to my best friend, she loves green and quilts. she would love your quilt! my cats do the same thing. lay on every piece of fabric,quilt,cutting mat.cats must be quilters at heart.

Becky said...

Great quilt! You could enter that in the Project Modern Monochromatic challenge!

Melody Music said...

I work at an old lady's house and she has made lots of quilts during her lifetime...
Handcrafting is not something i can do... so i always admirer the people who can and who have the patience to do so....

Beautiful pictures!

sangeeta said...

Gorgeous Quilt , must have been a lot of hard work.

Pheno Menon said...

O c a lot of hard work in that. Lovely

Through the Looking Glass
Chicken soup for the Mental Souls

Rajlakshmi said...

beautiful work... lovely patterns ...

Lee said...

Very pretty quilt! Love all the green. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday! : )

Mary said...

OH....very pretty! Green is my favorite color, so I think this is wonderful. Good luck on the quilting. It gets frustrating at times, but the results are worth the effort. Why is it that cats like to "help" quilt so much? There is a web site called "Cats Who Quilt" in case you are interested :-)