Tuesday, October 26, 2010

sailing ship quilt block for Ruby Tuesday



I have been very busy the past week making quilt blocks of the pattern called sailing ships or ships at sea. I had bought a new sewing machine recently and being strongly influenced by my quilt maker daughter whose quilt blog is found at:http://www.quispamsisquilter.blogspot.com/ I had been practicing some quilt block patterns. This pattern caught my eye and so far I have completed 12 blocks. I really like my results and find it challenging finding different sky designs to use for each ship block. The fabric I used above I had found in a thrift shop having been made into a pillow cover. I threw the pillow away and washed and cut up the cover as the fabric was so appropriate to my needs. I am half way there making blocks. I plan on making 24 blocks for a twin sized bed quilt. This is block # 12. I want to find some fabric showing an old world antique map, in sepia tones if possible for the backing of the quilt. That will be a challenging search but the theme seems so suitable for an old sailing ships design!
The black fabric with red stars used above for the ship's body is called spirit of the west by Maywood Studio. It is so much fun picking and matching fabrics. The red wavy water was found by my husband among a group of fat quarters for 50 cents each, He also bought me blue waves and green waves. My favourite choice is the red waves, but the green onesblended nicely when I used a green sky fabric with cream coloured stars.

Got photos with red want to share them?To check out other postings on Ruby Tuesday just click on the Ruby logo on the side bar or here:http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/. My appreciative thanks to Mary/the teach for hosting this meme

5 comments:

ilovepink said...

I like design very attractive. Is this your work you're so creative.
By the way, I followed you in google connect. Hope you do the same. Thanks!

Cildemer said...

Very nice quilt! Love the moon and stars fabric!
Thanks for sharing;o)

***
Happy Ruby Tuesday****

mARTy said...

cool art pics:)have a good one

Leora said...

Charming. I so admire anyone with quilting ability. Joyful!

Riel said...

Looking good. I like the red sails. I've got lots of fabric for you,so you should be able to keep up your nice variety all the way to the end.