Sunday, January 25, 2009

Amber Rhinestones; for Mellow Yellow Monday and Macro Monday


Its fluted yellowish striped wings
studded with amber rhinestones
captured light from the window landscape
as my camera harvested its beautyI don't know how long its been in my sewing box, or even where it came from, but I suspect its a left over treasure, a tiny two-inch souvenir from my antique period when I had a little shop for a couple of summers. While lying amid my sewing things its semi transparency can be seen.

When held up to the full light it takes on a trans- formation of beauty, changing its appear -ance with the direction and intensity of light that it encounters and absorbs.
How pleased I am that Drowsy Monkey of Ontario has created this relatively new meme, Mellow Yellow Monday. Its an inspirational place to post things that are yellow and also a place to view other beautiful 'yellows' posted to 'Mellow Yellow Monday' Just click on its highlighted name or on the badge in the side bar to get there.

And for more macro shots you can go to 'Macro Monday' to see some really close, close up photos! Just click on the highlighted link or on the logo in the side bar.

25 comments:

Drowsey Monkey said...

That is so interesting! But I'm not sure what it is? I like it though, it's gorgeous and you captured it so well in these photos. :)

Thanks for the lovely shout out too! I'm so enjoying all these wonderful photos people are posting - it's a great way to start the week!

bobbie said...

What an interesting item. I assume it is meant to punch small holes - perhaps in a belt? I have one too, but mine has a very plain, pale ivory handle.

me ann my camera said...

bobbie and drowsy monkey:
I think it might be a lapel pin? It has circular grooves at the end of the pin as if a tiny cap probably fitted on it, you know like a stick pin maybe. At first I wonder if it was a hat pin? But perhaps it is too small.

Jaffer said...

I vaguely remember seeing something similar back in the day my cousins sewed.

It looks like an awl - used to make or enlarge holes in leather and canvas and push a thread through

I think it's too gorgeous and delicate to be used as an awl.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

GREAT post ... photography is so interesting as an object can be caprured so many different ways. Very creative !!

Hello from SpeedyCat :)

Alice said...

Such a beautiful little treasure!! You did a great job of capturing that beauty. Happy MYM.

Sharon said...

It sure is beautiful when it catches the light! Happy Mellow Yellow Monday:)

VioletSky said...

Great work with the lighting and macro shot!

Mary said...

Whatever it is....it's beautiful and interesting! I think hatpin or hair ornament sounds good...seems like it would be "floppy" on a lapel? Good shots of it! Do you use it in your sewing box to pick out seams?

me ann my camera said...

mary:
I never thought of using it for picking out seams, but a good idea! It will now have a use :-)for I have decided to do another wall hanging; this one will be of an American Bittern with an interesting striped throat pattern, hidden in tall grasses.

Fortune Cookies said...

Loveley!

Becky and Gary said...

Gorgeous colors Ann, the way the light shimmers on it,makes for a very interesting post!
B.

Melli said...

That is beauuuuutiful! What a treasure to macro! Nicely done!

Mar-Bear said...

Amazing

Ida said...

Wonderful series.
Love the last shot!
Beautiful! :)

Jientje said...

What a pretty little treasure!

happily retired gal said...

Nifty series of photos of this lovely treasure ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Simrat said...

That is an interesting object. Where did you find it?

I do think that it would be much longer, if it were a hat pin. And it would likely have a smaller decorative end.

Excellent photos!

Dianne said...

it has wonderful color!

lisaschaos said...

What a neat little thing. :) I'm sure it is antique, what's it used for?

me ann my camera said...

simrat:
I don't really remember where I had gotten it from but I used to attend a lot of auctions and estate sales and it probably was in a box or a tray lot that I had purchased at one time.

lisachaos:
I'm not really sure what it is but if it had a little cap screwed on the end of it I think I would wear it on the lapel of my jacket. And yes, it is antique.

Thank you to all for your interest and comments.

nana said...

Just one word: gorgeous!!

Footnotes said...

Beautiful catch of those colors.

Pls. join us at Saturday Footwear Fever this week.

Regina Marie said...

A most beautiful blending of color and words- Wow!

intelligence said...

rizhi360
clash687
banner486
bingdao100
maoliqiusi